The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Wish III - regrets

Well, we've already looked at "I wish" and "wish" plus the past to talk about wishes for the present or future. Today we're going to talk about regrets. You regret something (or regret doing/having done s'thing, or regret not doing/having done s'thing) when you look back at the past and think to yourself, "Why, oh why did I (not) do that?!", "What on earth was I thinking?"

For example, when I was in high school, I had the opportunity to go to a Talking Heads concert. At the time I liked them, but wasn't super crazy about them. They later released a concert film called Stop Making Sense, which I absolutely adored. I then realized [BrEng realised] that I'd missed a really great show. I have always regretted not going to that concert. I wish I'd gone to that concert!

WISH + PAST PERFECT*
=
something you regret doing or not doing in the past

My other regrets:
  • I wish my father had taught me Spanish as a child, things would have been much easier when I moved to Spain.
  • I wish I'd studied more at school.
  • I wish I had visited my sick friend in the hospital more.
  • I wish I hadn't let my cat scratch up all the furniture. Now I'll have to get it re-upholstered.

I sincerely hope you don't have any regrets, but if you do, feel free to share them in a comment.

* Both past perfect simple and continuous are possible.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home