The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

'I want' never gets

Although you might say '"I want" never gets.' to a child (or Big Brother participant) to show them that you should ask for thinks politely, the fact is that we use 'I want' A LOT in everyday speech. A common grammar mistake for Spanish speakers involves this phrase.

Here's an example:
  • Native speaker: I want you to eat all your vegetables, young man!
  • Spanish speaker: I want that you eat all your vegetables, young man!
When you see the two side by side, the influence of the Spanish verb + que + subjunctive structure is clear. In English, the verb pattern for want is simple, and IT DOES NOT CHANGE when you add an object to the sentence.

want + (object) + to infinitive

Of course, when you add an object you change the meaning of the sentence. To wit,

'I want to go.' means I will be the one who (hopefully) goes.
'I want you to go.' means that you will go.

Now, I want you to go away and practice: write 10 sentence with want + object + to infinitive and post them as a comment.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home