The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, November 3, 2008

Word of the Week - 29

GATHER

This week's word is a verb. I thought of this word because now it is time for the Winter harvest and we are getting closer to Thanksgiving in the States.

This verb has several meanings but when I decided on this word for today I was thinking of the meaning 'collect'.

The children gathered wood to build a small fire.
Some animals gather food in the summer and store it for the winter.

Other meanings of the verb include 'to come together' ...

A crowd gathered outside the shop trying to see what was happening inside.
Gather round children, I'm going to tell you story.
A family gathering (n.c) is often common at Christmas time.
There will be a gathering of world leaders at the summit.

... and 'to understand or believe'

I gather that you have bought a new house?
(I have heard that you have bought a new house, is it true?)
"I am not very happy." "Yes, I gathered that." (Yes, it was obvious to me)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home