The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, February 9, 2009

Word of the Week - 37


This week's word is a verb which means to say sorry for doing something wrong or for causing someone unhappiness and inconvenience. I thought this was an appropriate word this week because I would like to apologise (apologize [Ame]) for not having published anything on the blog over the last four weeks. In my defence I have been feeling rather unwell this past month and have not felt much like blogging. However, I am back now and promise to update the blog as often as possible.

Notice that this verb follows the pattern + preposition (FOR) + gerund (ING) when used with another verb.

I must apologise to John for taking his car without asking.
You should apologise for not coming to class last week.

Notice that we apologise TO someone-

I always apologise to the teacher if I arrive late.

Notice how other parts of speech are formed from this verb: (especially important to those of you doing Cambridge exams!)

The chairman sends his apologies, he's otherwise engaged so I will be chairing the meeting.
The newspaper sent me a letter of apology.
Jane was so apologetic about forgetting my birthday, I felt bad for her.
He handed me back my broken umbrella smiling apologetically.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home