The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Expression of the Fortnight - 7

Ok - I know we haven't had one of these for a while so I thought it was about time I came up with another expression post!

POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK

When someone accuses you of being like a pot calling the kettle black they are saying that you are guilty of the same thing for which you are complaining about another person. For example, if you always arrive late and yet you are complaining about somebody for not being on time, the person who you are complaining to / or about may say 'That's the pot calling the kettle black!" To make it shorter and more sarcastic the person may just say, "Hello, Pot!" or "Hello, Pot. I'm Kettle!"

The equivalents in Spanish are "Apártate que me tiznas, dijo la sarten al cazo" or "El burro hablando de orejas".

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home