The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, February 22, 2010

Word of the Week - 63

SPIT


This week's word of the week was inspired by my morning walk to the local supermarket. It wasn't really raining so I didn't take my umbrella with me. The drops that were falling from the sky were only light and I didn't get very wet. When the rain is light like this you can say informally that it is spitting. It is the informal equivalent of the verb drizzle, which was a word of the week a couple of years back.

The verb spit has another, not so pleasant meaning. In fact it describes a terribly bad habit which I have had the misfortune to witness all too often in Madrid. It describes the action of forcing out the contents of the mouth - especially saliva.

Some teenagers have the horrible habit of spitting in the street.

I hate it when people spit their sunflower seed shells on the floor!

He spat out his meal in disgust - he had never tasted anything so awful!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home