The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, May 21, 2007

Affordable?

Many of you will be thinking about planning your summer holiday [AmEng vacation]. One thing that inevitably comes up at a time like this is money, you know, dosh [BrEng], dough [AmEng], cash, readies [BrEng], green stuff [AmEng], moola [AmEng], scratch [AmEng], brass [BrEng]. This brings me to a very common word that in my experience is hardly ever known by students: "afford", which means something like have enough money to do something.

"Afford" is usually found with the auxiliaries "can" and "can't", most especially "can't", I think because when we use the word, it's often because we DON'T HAVE THE MONEY!

Just this morning, one of my students was telling me that she was going to Portugal on holiday. Where she'd really love to go is either London or Rome, but they're so expensive that she can't afford to go. I've been to both cities, and I'd definitely have to say she's right, they're really very expensive for a student, but still well worth a visit!

Things I want but can't afford:
  • to visit my aunt in Australia.
  • that pair of wonderful Dolce and Gabbana boots I saw in a shop window last winter.
  • a summer house by the sea.
  • any house in Madrid.
  • to fly home more than once a year.
  • to have my brother squatting in my house in Scotland and not paying me any rent.
  • to use taxis.
What's on your list?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home