The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, January 28, 2008

Word of the Week - 3

This week's word is a noun that came up in one of my one-to-one classes and I thought it was an unusual sounding but fun word to learn.

GIBBERISH

Basically it means nonsense! When someone says or writes something that makes no sense at all, you can say that they are talking gibberish.

I was so nervous in the interview, that I forgot what I had planned to say and I just started talking gibberish!

It can also be used to describe language that is extremely technical or very obscure and therefore difficult to understand.

Are those Chinese characters? It all looks like gibberish to me!

(N.B. The 'G' in the word is pronounced as a 'j' sound!)

A 'famous' example of something that is complete gibberish in both Spanish and English is the Ketchup Song (Aserejé - Las Ketchup). What were those girls singing about? Although I must admit the song was very catchy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home