The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, April 21, 2008

Word of the Week - 15


This week's word is another adjective which you can use to describe something that is really, really big in an informal way. It is often used when somebody is exaggerating about how large something really is. The word is what is known as a Portmanteau term, because it has been made up through a fusion of two other adjectives; gigantic and enormous.

Tom and Gina's wedding cake was absolutely ginormous! I had never seen such a large cake before!

-I look ginormous in this skirt! I really must go on a diet.
-Don't be silly, you look wonderful!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 21, 2008 5:07 AM, Blogger JD's voice said...

HI. This is really a useful blog. I'm learning similes with LIKE + NOUN PHRASE (ex. like a bull in a china shop. Could you please help me with a good list of some?

 
At April 25, 2008 10:48 AM, Blogger BLC Blogger said...

Hello JD. Thank you for your comment. I will try to put something on the blog this weekend about similes with like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home