The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What's the Difference ? - 4

COME / GO

These two verbs are often mixed up by non-native speakers of English. They are especially confusing for the Spanish because they are often used the opposite way round!

The thing to remember is that in English the position and perspective of the person speaking is important.

We use 'go' to describe movement away from the place where the speaker or hearer is.

Are you going to English class tonight? (said by one student to another in the street)
I need to go to the supermarket tonight.
Shall we go to the cinema at the weekend?
When are you going to Spain ? (asked by one friend to another who is in the same country)

We use 'come' to describe movement towards the place where the speaker or hearer is.

Is Juan coming to class today? (Said by the teacher to the rest of the students)
No, he isn't coming to class today. (A student replies to the teacher's question)
I'm going home. Do you want to come with me? (I go to my house but you come with me)
When are you coming to Spain? (asked by someone in Spain to someone in another country)

The main mistake is made when the teacher sees a student in the corridor and asks if they are coming to class. The student often replies 'I go now' when of course he / she should say 'I'm coming now' because they need to see things from the teacher's perspective. Also when someone calls your name from another room, you should say 'coming'.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home