The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Friday, November 3, 2006

So and such

These two words are often confused, because they have a similar meaning, but different grammar.


SO
- so + adjective: That dinner was so good! [used for emphasis]
- so + adjective + (that) + clause: It was so cold that I put on another sweater. [to express cause and result]

Variations on these are so much and so many
- so many + plural countable noun: I've never seen so many people in one place in all my life.
- so much + uncountable noun: I spent so much money on holiday [AmEng vacation] that I had to borrow some from my parents.

SUCH
- such + noun: I had such fun in Venice! [emphasis]
- such + a/an + noun: I'm such a fool! [emphasis]
- such + (a/an) + adjective + noun: Paul's such a good cook! / We've had such rainy weather this month. [emphasis]

As with so (many/much), these can be followed by a result clause starting with (that): It was such an interest film (that) I recommended it to all my friends.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home