The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I couldn't agree more! redux

"I really can't stand hot weather!"

"Me, neither!"
"Neither can I!"
"I can't, either!"

Last time we looked at agreeing with a positive statement someone has just made. Today we're doing to look at agreeing with negative statements.

All three of these forms can be used in informal English to agree with a negative statement another person has just made.

Of the three, "Me, neither." (often "Me, either." in more informal English, especially in North America) is the easiest to use, as you don't have to worry about the auxiliary verb.

For "Neither ___ I." and "I ___ not/n't, either." you need to use the appropriate auxiliary: am/is/are, can/could, do/does/did, have/has/had, should, will, would, etc. Notice that with "neither" you don't need to add "not/n't" because neither already carries a negative meaning.

For example:

"I don't like U2."
"Neither do I." / "I don't, either."

"I haven't been working really hard lately."
"Neither have I." / "I haven't, either."

"I shouldn't really spend all my money on a Caribbean cruise."
"Neither should I." / "I shouldn't, either."

"I didn't do anything Saturday night."
"Neither did I." / "I didn't, either."


These forms can also be used for other people than yourself. Let's adapt the last example:

"We didn't do anything Saturday night."
"Neither did we." / "We didn't, either."

"I'm not doing anything on Saturday night."
"Neither is Mary." / "Mary isn't, either."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home