The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Friday, May 30, 2008

Sweet Dreams

Sometimes when we are asleep we see images playing like a movie in our heads. These are called dreams. If we are lucky these dreams will be sweet and make us happy. Unfortunately though at some point in our lives we all have a few nightmares!

I don't know about you, but I find dreams fascinating! I have a dictionary for dream interpretation. If you are interested in finding out what your dreams may symbolise you should check out this website!

Today though I would like to focus on the dreams that we have when we are awake! Our dreams and ambitions for the future or our hopes and wishes for things to change in our lives.

When we talk about things that we would like to be different in our current situation we can use two different constructions; IF ONLY and I WISH followed by the past simple (or sometimes a past continuous).

If only I could speak fluent Italian!
I wish I were rich and famous!
If only I had my own business!
I wish it wasn't raining!
If only I didn't have to get up early every day!
I wish I could drive!

For more about this you should check out our earlier posts on wishes by putting 'wish' in the search bar for this blog.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home