The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, May 19, 2008

Word of the Week - 19

Today's word is a verb which has many meanings.

The first meaning is to kill something by stopping air from getting to it.

I smothered the chip-pan fire with a damp cloth.

John tried to smother his sister with a cushion. Luckily, John's mother caught him and managed to save her daughter!

Another meaning is to prevent something / somebody from developing and growing freely.

Sometimes I feel smothered by my boyfriend, he is too possessive and won't let me do my own thing.

The latest bomb attack has smothered any chances of peace talks.

Finally this verb can be used to say that something is completely covered in another substance or object.

I love eating a big bowl of strawberries smothered in cream!

Whenever I see my aunty she always smothers me with kisses!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home