The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What's the Difference? - 2

MISS / LOSE

These words are often confused by speakers of Spanish because in some cases the translation into Spanish for both words is 'perder'.

One of the main meanings of the word miss is to arrive too late for a planned event or a form of public transport.

I missed my plane because the traffic was so bad on the motorway I couldn't get to the airport in time. (N.B. You do not lose the bus!)

I missed my first class because my alarm clock didn't go off and I slept in.

One of the main meanings of the word lose is to no longer possess something because you do not know where it is.

I'm always losing my car keys, I can never find them when I need them!

250 people lost their jobs when the factory closed down.

There are of course more meanings for these words so you should look them up in the dictionary.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home