The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, May 4, 2009

Word of the Week - 49

FUSSY

This week's word is an adjective which is used to describe a person who is not easily satisified or who has high standards and fixed ideas about how things should be.

My father is a very fussy eater, he won't try anything new when we go on holiday and he is always picking at the food on his plate.

My wife is very fussy about the house, everything has to be just right, in the correct position and at the correct angle. It drives me mad!

In informal English you can say that you are not fussy or not fussed to say that you have no preference between two options and that you would be satisfied with either.

"Would you like tea or coffee?"
"I'm not fussy - whichever is easiest for you."

"Red or white wine?"
"I'm not fussed, whichever you prefer."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home