The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Sunday, June 24, 2007

I couldn't disagree more!

"I hate coffee!"

"I don't! I'd die without it!"


We've now already looked at how to agree with a positive or negative statement someone has just made. Today we're doing to look at disagreeing with positive statements.

The key here is the emphasis you place on the word "I". By stressing the different subject pronoun, you're highlighting the contrast with the other person's opinion. We also usually follow this up with a statement of our own opinion or likes.

Of course, like the other forms we've looked at, you need to use the appropriate auxiliary: am not/isn't/aren't, can't/couldn't, don't/doesn't/didn't, haven't/hasn't/hadn't, shouldn't, won't, wouldn't, etc. Notice that you need to use the negative to establish the contrast with the original positive statement.

Let's look at some examples:

"I'm a Man U supporter."
"I'm not!. I support Man City."

"I'd really like to try bungee jumping."
"I wouldn't! Are you crazy? You could kill yourself!"

"I've always wanted to travel to China."
"I haven't. I prefer to stay in Spain."


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home