The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, May 11, 2009

Word of the Week - 50

DODGY

This week's word is an adjective which is used in informal English to mean dishonest, risky, not to be depended on or likely to break and cause pain. I thought of this word because I use it quite a lot and my students never know what I mean.

They got involved in a dodgy deal and lost all their savings.
(The deal was risky and didn't work out)

The weather might be a bit dodgy at this time of year in Cantabria.
(So you can't be sure that the weather will be good, it could be very varied with rain)

Be careful, that chair is a bit dodgy.
(It isn't very safe, I'm worried it might break if you sit down too hard on it)

I don't trust that man, he seems a bit dodgy to me.
(I think he looks dishonest)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home