The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What's the Difference? - 6

BEEN / GONE

Many a time my students have looked at me with a puzzled expression on their face when I have asked them what the two past participles of go are. Two? They ask, confused. Well, there is gone and that's it, right? No, wrong! There is also been. Been? But isn't that the past participle of the verb be? Well, yes but, it is also the past participle of the verb go. So, how do we know which to use?
BEEN suggests that a person has travelled to a place and has also returned from that place. Therefore BEEN suggests that the action has been completed.
GONE suggests that a person has travelled to a place and remains in that place.
Compare these sentences:
I've been to the office this morning because I forgot to bring my laptop home.
(I went to the office and I came back home again)
"Where's John?"
"He's gone to the office because he has left his laptop on his desk."
(John has travelled to the office and he is still there or on his way back but he is not at home yet)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home