The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Expression of the Fortnight - 15

TO BUTTER SOMEBODY UP
This fortnight's expression came up in class when one of my students was paying me a compliment. I wondered if my student had an ulterior motive for being so nice to me. I asked her if she was trying to butter me up! To butter somebody up is to be very kind or friendly to them or try to please them in some way so that they will do what you want them to do. Buttering somebody up is a way of manipulating them.
You'll have to butter her up a bit if you want her to agree to that!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 05, 2010 1:19 PM, Blogger BLC Blogger said...

I liked this cartoon, but I would like to point out that 'cruelness' is not the correct noun form of the adjective cruel. It should be 'cruelty'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home