The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Monday, May 10, 2010

Word of the Week -73

TANTRUM

This week's word is a noun that is used to describe the sudden period of anger that a young child shows when they don't get what they want. It is most common in young children but some famous sportsmen have also been known to throw the odd tantrum. The American tennis-player John McEnroe was famous for his tennis tantrums. In fact, he appears in the film Anger Management with Jack Nicholson and Adam Sandler poking fun at his reputation! Youtube has some funny videos of McEnroe at his angry best.
The noun collocates with the verbs 'have' and 'throw'.
James threw a tantrum in the supermarket because I wouldn't buy him any sweets.
As I am writing this, my baby boy is having a tantrum on my lap because he wants to type and I won't let him.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home