The BLC Blog

A forum and learning place for British Language Centre students

Friday, May 28, 2010

What's the Difference - 8

ON TIME / IN TIME / BY THE TIME

ON TIME - means at the planned time; neither early nor late. Punctual.

It's always important to arrive on time to an interview if you want to make a good impression.
A typical stereotype about Spanish people is that they never arrive on time!

IN TIME - means with enough time to spare; before the last moment.

The man would have died if the ambulance hadn't got him to the hospital in time.
My car broke down on the motorway but luckily I got to the airport just in time to catch my flight!

BY THE TIME - means before the time that is specified.

I hope to be living in Santander by the time I am 40. (before I have my 40th birthday)
You'd better have cleaned the bathroom by the time I get home!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At December 21, 2011 5:38 AM, Anonymous Lupe said...

Another nice post.......thanks for sharing.

 
At September 07, 2016 3:04 PM, Anonymous Visas and Work Permits said...

This is another wonderful post. Thank you from team of Visas and Work Permits.

 
At April 20, 2017 4:10 PM, Anonymous Visa Immigration said...

Thank you very much finally i got what was i looking from last 2 hour.

Thanks author

 

Post a Comment

<< Home